• Welcome to the new B.I.R.D. Forum. Please be sure to read the "New Member / New Registered ? Please Read" thread in the Coffee Shop. This contains some important information. To become a full member ( £5.50 a year ) simply click on your user name near the top on the right I hope you enjoy the new site ................ Jaws ( John )

You'll like this During lock down..... What have you done today ?

Pow-Lo

I am Grasshopper!
Club Sponsor
It is a little known fact by Joe Public but if you are using an extension lead and it is a coiled variety, then it should be fully uncoiled off the drum before use.
Without too much detail, the coiled wire has a 'funny' affect on the electrickery causing overloading of the lead.
As thick as I am, that is one fact (out of a total of about six) that I am aware of. The one that blew, and the other two presently in use, are not coiled types, they're a straight length of wire with a plug at one end and the surge-protected sockets at the other.
 

andyBeaker

Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Club Sponsor
It is a little known fact by Joe Public but if you are using an extension lead and it is a coiled variety, then it should be fully uncoiled off the drum before use.
Without too much detail, the coiled wire has a 'funny' affect on the electrickery causing overloading of the lead.
I think the funny effect is as straightforward as heat not being able to disperse when the cable is tightly coiled giving the potential for insulation to melt followed by sparky things.

But I might be wrong.
 

Squag1

Can't remember....
Club Sponsor
My previous neighbour used a 220V jackhammer without unreeling the lead.
Totally welded together, even the plastic drum had melted.
I cut it up to see.
 

andyBeaker

Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Club Sponsor
As thick as I am, that is one fact (out of a total of about six) that I am aware of. The one that blew, and the other two presently in use, are not coiled types, they're a straight length of wire with a plug at one end and the surge-protected sockets at the other.
Sounds like it was overloaded.
 

Jaws

Corporal CockUp
Staff member
Moderator
Club Sponsor
Assisted in washing the truck down.. it was absolutely filthy having sat since October
 

Jaws

Corporal CockUp
Staff member
Moderator
Club Sponsor
From what John Jaws said above, I'd be surprised if it was especially considering it had performed for eight years continuously without a problem.
Yep... If you want confirmation have a look at the labels on the chargers and it should tell you max draw. and as they were only being used to maintain you can 1/4 that figure
 

DEG5Y

Been there, and had one
Club Sponsor
I think the funny effect is as straightforward as heat not being able to disperse when the cable is tightly coiled giving the potential for insulation to melt followed by sparky things.

But I might be wrong.
It's the inductive properties of a coil.
 

ogr1

I can still see ya.....
Club Sponsor
Yarp..Have to unravel them completely
to get a reading for PAT.
 

derek kelly

The Deli lama
Club Sponsor
It is a little known fact by Joe Public but if you are using an extension lead and it is a coiled variety, then it should be fully uncoiled off the drum before use.
Without too much detail, the coiled wire has a 'funny' affect on the electrickery causing overloading of the lead.
Could turn it into an electric fire.
 

Jaws

Corporal CockUp
Staff member
Moderator
Club Sponsor
Took delivery of the noise reduction filter.. Did a basic set up and am well pleased. Tomorrow I shall rig up an auxiliary antenna and get it all set up properly
 

Squag1

Can't remember....
Club Sponsor
Got bucket of coal, lit the stove, beer n hula hoops - the healthy alternative.

Wonder where dinner is.

Guy I worked with in the pub.
"No point in going home now, the dinner's in the dog"
Cue, more pints.
 

Nige F

Been there, and had one
Club Sponsor
Went for a Covid test as I woke up feeling shit and with 2 of the symptoms (temperature and loss of taste). Now waiting for the results....deep joy.
You had your results yet??! I had to go for one today after the bloke I'd been working with failed a temperature test. Not a nice experience. It was a lateral flow one so got the results in an hour... Negative fortunately
 

Pow-Lo

I am Grasshopper!
Club Sponsor
Worked from home.

Had heating engineer in to quote to replace all downstairs radiators, change two upstairs and replace four lengths of copper pipe.
 

Cougar377

Express elevator to hell
Staff member
Moderator
Club Sponsor
You had your results yet??! I had to go for one today after the bloke I'd been working with failed a temperature test. Not a nice experience. It was a lateral flow one so got the results in an hour... Negative fortunately
Nope. Not heard a dicky bird. Up to 3 days, apparently, so hopefully I'll hear tomorrow.
When the wife had one it was done at QA Hospital and she didn't even have to leave the car. Got her results next day (but she's NHS, so it was priority).
 

andyBeaker

Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Club Sponsor
Worked from home.

Had heating engineer in to quote to replace all downstairs radiators, change two upstairs and replace four lengths of copper pipe.
I have 24m of 22mm copper pipe you can have if you want it:)
 

andyBeaker

Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Club Sponsor
Attended my first online funeral.

Didn't like it.

:(

Collected and delivered a load of library books for local,wrinklies.
 
Top